ORU Travels for Pair of Summit League Matches
- The Golden Eagles opened Summit League play last weekend with sweeps of IUPUI and Western Illinois to improve to 4-5 overall.
- ORU is averaging 11.36 kills per set with a .210 hitting percentage, while the opposition is hitting .226 with 12.73 kills per set.
- The Golden Eagles are out-blocking their opponents by a 61.0-58.0 margin, led by Elizabeth McVicker and Jocelyn Swier’s 55 combined blocks.
- McVicker also leads the offense with 79 kills (2.39 k/s) and is hitting .365.
- Freshman setter Laura Taylor has handed out 193 assists (6.66 k/s), while smashing 37 kills against only one error for a team-leading .500 hitting percentage.
- Senior Cassidy Holmes ranks fourth in the conference with a 4.11 digs per set average.
- Head coach Sheera Sirola needs just two more victories to move into second place all-time at ORU, trailing Amy Farber-Knowles’ 143 wins from 1997-2002. Peggie McCaw ranks first all-time among ORU volleyball coaches with 160 victories from 1977-79.
- The Kangaroos enter this weekend’s action with a 3-8 overall record after dropping matches on the road against South Dakota State and North Dakota State to open the conference slate.
- UMKC is hitting .170 as a team, while the opposition has hit .208 through the first 11 matches.
- The Kangaroos have out-blocked their opponents by a 71.5-65.5 margin.
- Elizabeth Beck leads the offense and ranks fourth in The Summit League with 3.34 kills per set (127 total kills), while Ella Meier has handed out 231 assists (6.42 a/s).
- Christiana McQuin and Emily Lucas have been a force on defense with 57 combined blocks.
SOUTHERN UTAH NOTABLES
- The Thunderbirds are 3-6 overall and 1-1 in Summit League play after splitting road contests with North Dakota State and South Dakota State last weekend.
- Southern Utah is hitting .164 with 11.50 kills per set, while the opposition is averaging 13.06 kills per set with a .234 hitting percentage.
- Analaine Pelaez, last season’s Summit League Newcomer of the Year, tops the conference with 3.72 kills per set (119 total kills), while ranking second on the team with 101 digs (3.16 d/s).
- Setter Brittney Clark is also pacing the league with a 9.72 assist per set mark (311 total assists).
The Golden Eagles hold a 37-4 all-time advantage over UMKC, but were swept by the Kangaroos last season after winning 33 straight matches dating back to the 1993 season. ORU split matches with the Thunderbirds last season in Southern Utah’s first season of volleyball.
- ORU -