Volleyball Returns Home for Pair of Summit League Contests
Courtesy: ORU Media Relations
- The Golden Eagles split a pair of Summit League matches on the road last weekend at UMKC and Southern Utah to push their record to 5-6 overall and 3-1 in conference action.
- Sophomore Elizabeth McVicker leads ORU with 96 kills (2.40 k/s) and ranks second in The Summit League with a .377 hitting percentage.
- Freshman setter Laura Taylor has tallied 252 assists (7.20 a/s), while posting 45 kills against only three errors for a .438 hitting percentage.
- ORU has outblocked its opposition by a 75.0-71.0 margin, led by McVicker and Jocelyn Swier’s 67 combined blocks. Swier, a senior from Ripon, Calif., ranks third in the league with a 1.03 blocks per set mark.
- Head coach Sheera Sirola needs just one more victory to move into second place all-time at ORU. Sirola tied Amy Farber-Knowles’ (1997-2002) 143 win-mark last Thursday at UMKC. Peggie McCaw ranks first all-time among ORU volleyball coaches with 160 victories from 1977-79.
NORTH DAKOTA STATE NOTABLES
- The Bison are currently 6-5 overall and 3-0 in Summit League play with wins over Southern Utah, UMKC and South Dakota State.
- North Dakota State extended its streak of consecutive Summit League victories to 40 with Saturday’s win over the Jackrabbits.
- The Bison are hitting .214 and lead the conference with 12.58 kills per set through the opening 11 matches, while the opposition has hit .205 with 12.02 kills per set.
- Brynn Joki paces the offense with 113 kills (2.76 k/s) and leads the league with 24 service aces.
- Jennifer Lopez, who tallied 358 assists in the first 11 matches, will miss the remainder of the season due to injury.
SOUTH DAKOTA STATE NOTABLES
- The Jackrabbits enter this weekend’s play with a 5-6 overall record and a 1-2 mark in Summit League action.
- South Dakota State is hitting .221 with 12.09 kills per set, while the opposition has hit .203 with 12.82 kills per set.
- The Jacks have outblocked their opponents by a wide 91.5-77.0 margin through their first 11 matches.
- Ellyce Youngren leads the offense with 143 kills (3.18 k/s), while Kelli Fiegen has hit .320 with 120 kills (2.67 k/s). Fiegen also tops the league with a 1.42 blocks per set mark (64 total).
- Thyek Rechatiko places second in the conference with 392 assists (9.56 a/s), while Shay Birath ranks fourth with 4.16 digs per set.
- The Golden Eagles trail the Bison in the overall series by a 3-7 margin, and have lost six straight since claiming the first Summit League meeting between the two schools in 2007.
- ORU leads South Dakota State by a 4-2 margin after splitting a pair of matches with the Jacks last season. The Golden Eagles fell by a score of 1-3 in Brookings, S.D., before claiming a 3-1 victory in Tulsa.
- ORU -