Power Forward
Article Image
Photo by: ORU Media Relations

Women’s soccer match ends in draw at UMKC

Courtesy: ORU Media Relations
          Release: 08/19/2012
Send this article to a friend Print RSS

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - For the second time in as many contests, the Oral Roberts women's soccer team played extra minutes as they went into double overtime at Missouri-Kansas City on Sunday.

However, unlike the loss to North Texas on Friday evening, the Golden Eagle defense held the Kangaroos scoreless and the match ended in a draw, 0-0.

As extra time began, the Golden Eagles looked poised to do what North Texas did to them just two nights before. Jennifer Abernathy had the first opportunity for ORU just 30 seconds into the first overtime period, but was unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

In the second overtime, the Kangaroos got the first opportunity to put the contest away, but sophomore Helen Erb made a nice save to keep the match scoreless.

Abernathy again added two more opportunities for the Golden Eagles in the 104th and with just 22 seconds remaining.

After the first 90 minutes of play, the Golden Eagles had only allowed three shots on goal from the Kangaroos. However, the Golden Eagle offense also struggled to get anything going, with just three shots on goal of their own.

ORU controlled the ball most of the first half, recording each of their three regulation looks at goal before intermission.

To go along with Abernathy's four shots on goal, Whitney Booth and Shelbi Lousch each added one of their own. Erb got the start in goal for the Golden Eagles, picking up four saves.

The Golden Eagles (0-1-1) return to the pitch on Friday in Dallas against SMU. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m.

They will return to the Case Soccer Complex a week from today when they host regional rival Rogers State at 7 p.m.

Live & On-demand Eagle Sports
BASE Postgame vs. Wichita State, 4-9-14
BASE Postgame vs. SHSU, 4-4-14
Thu, Apr 17 at 06:20 PM
BASE: ORU vs Houston Baptist
Video >
Thu, Apr 17 at 06:20 PM
Audio >